Golf Course
Victor Lawson built a 9-hole golf course on the estate grounds in 1911. The course was laid out on the former Hoffman and Briswold farms at the southwest corner of the property. The “Lone Tree Links,” as it was called, was bordered by the Links Road. It was not an elaborate course, but it was a regulation-size course with sweeping views. Mr. Lawson’s architect, Mr. Merigold, worked with a Scottish golf course designer to create the course.
Mr. Lawson was not a golfer, by his own admission, but he wanted to provide his distinguished guests with an opportunity to play a round when they came to visit. As the story goes, Mr. Lawson would be called away for important business at the start of a round. He might return as they were about to finish the game and take out his putter on the ninth green.
Mrs. Lawson designed a beautiful Tea House at the end of the ninth hole, where she hosted occasional guests. It also served as a great clubhouse, and as a place to entertain the golfers after a round on this lovely private course. The Tea House still stands and is available to rent for small-group events.
To see our collection of Tea House postcards Click Here.
Following the deaths of the Lawsons, the estate was sold to developers who opened it as a country club. Lawsonia Country Club, as it was then known, used the original course when the posh development first opened in the late 1920s. However, upon completion of the new 18-hole Lawsonia Links course, it was abandoned. One of the fairways is still visible, running parallel to Camp Road between Anderson Campground and the Padelford Country Store. In 1930 a new clubhouse was built just west off Prospect Road, the main entrance to the grounds. A newer clubhouse and restaurant now exist in the same location.
Information collected from “Just Do It Jessie’s Way” Pages 68 – 71
Use this form to submit corrections or suggestions.