Lawsonia Club House / Roger Williams Inn
In 1928, the Lawson Lone Tree Point Cottage was moved west from its original location to make room for the proposed Lawsonia Country Club. The cottage was cut apart into seven sections and moved over a path cut through the woods to allow room. The building was re-assembled like a jig-saw puzzle and then covered with stucco to glue it together.
The Hotel known as the Lawsonia Country Club was started in the fall of 1929. The foundation was laid by a local crew under the supervision of Mr. Otto Bierman. The Immel Construction Company of Fond du Lac erected the steel reinforced, 81 room building. When the stock market crashed in 1929, it was still under construction, but it did not deter them from completing it by 1930, with elaborate furnishings and décor.
A Swimming Pool was built in 1930 in front of the club. It was a tiled pool built under the supervision of Mr. Bierman.
After the bankruptcy of the H.O. Stone Company and the property was purchased by the Baptists, the club House was renamed the Roger Williams Inn. Roger Williams, known as the Prophet of Religious Freedom, gathered the First Baptist Church in America in 1638.
This information was collected from “A Heritage History of Beautiful Green Lake Wisconsin” by Robert & Emma Heiple. Page 227 – 229
and
History of the First Baptist Church in America
Images of the Roger Williams Inn
Click on any image to view a detailed view of the card.